By Lyn Funnell
The Arden Hotel was our next stop, so we left the Pheasant Hotel and made the short drive into the town.
Named after William Shakespeare’s mother, Mary Arden, the Hotel is in a convenient place to stay in Stratford upon Avon, right in the town center, opposite the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, which is on the Avon riverbank.
There is plenty of parking behind the hotel.
Part of the Eden Hotel Collection, the Arden is a 4 Silver Star Boutique Hotel, with staircases and corridors going off in all directions.
We were shown to our room, then we went out to explore the area.
A Visit to Shakespeare Country Part 7. The Arden Hotel.
The Arden Hotel Rows of terraced Medieval cottages surround the Hotel and many of them belong to the Hotel. They are used by performers and staff who are appearing at the Theatre and need a more homely atmosphere for several weeks.
A lot of the shops, pubs and restaurants are Medieval buildings, all lovingly renovated and preserved. And all the Museums are within walking distance.
the arden hotel stratford We were surprised at how low most of the prices are in the town. But then again, we are Southerners!
Back at the Hotel, we wandered inside and out in the beautiful gardens, shown around by Josefine Blomqvist, General Manager.
It was obvious that she loved her job and she was very enthusiastic about the Hotel.
There are 45 bedrooms, all different, with Classic, Superior, and Deluxe rooms.
Downstairs there is a Function Room, Meetings, Functions, and Weddings.
A marquee can be erected in the garden if needed.
The Arden is back-to-front as most people come in from the car park at the rear, so Reception is upstairs at the back of the Hotel.
The Arden Hotel Downstairs is the Restaurant and areas where you can relax with a drink or a coffee.
Round the corner from the Bar is a Doggy-Friendly area. And some of the rooms are dog-friendly too.
Many famous actors have stayed in the Hotel, including Dame Judy Dench and recently, David Tennant.
We had booked dinner in the restaurant early as we were going to the Theatre.
The Arden Hotel Our waiter, Henry, recommended a white wine, Les Lauriers, £28. And we had sparkling water, £5.
The Arden Hotel John had Stilton & Broccoli soup, with flaked almonds. £6.50.
He said that, to his surprise, the almonds really complimented the soup.
I had Roasted Scallops, Miso hollandaise, pickled mushrooms & mooli. £14.
It was an unusual dish and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
For the main course, John chose Whole roasted plaice, seaweed beurre noisette, new potatoes & brown shrimp. £27.
He couldn’t have the shrimp as he’s intolerant to shellfish. But changing the menu was no bother.
I couldn’t resist choosing the Sirloin steak. £26. It comes from Osney Mead in Oxford and it’s grass-fed and matured for 35 days.
To accompany it I chose a Red Wine sauce, for £3, and Sweet potato fries, parmesan, and truffle oil £4.50.
While we ate, I kept peering around us, to see if I could spot anyone famous.
No, I didn’t see anyone that I recognized, but there were quite a few theatrical types there, who were also eating early.
For Dessert, John had Banana cake, which surprised me. He’s never been a fan of banana cake. It came with banana toffee, & salted caramel ice cream for £7.50. And yes, he loved it!
I had Strawberries in elderflower, whipped custard, meringue, strawberry & cream ice cream £7.00.
Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to finish them as we had to leave to cross the road to the Theatre.
The Arden Hotel is a lovely, high-quality place to stay for a weekend exploring Warwickshire. The staff is professional and friendly. Yes, we hope to return very soon!
Contemporary independent family-run authentic Greek restaurant in the heart of Stratford-upon-Avon
- Address: 27 Rother St, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 6NE
- Website: https://www.el-greco.co.uk/
- Tel: 01789 290 505
- Email: email@example.com
- Book here: https://www.el-greco.co.uk/covid-contact-book
- Opening times: 12 – 10pm (Mon-Sat) closed Sun
- Facebook: @el.greco.stratforduponavon/
- Twitter @EGrecos
Shakespeare’s England Facfiles:
Charlecote Park Hotel, Charlecote
AA 3-star rural hotel with 70 rooms, a bar, and a restaurant located in the quaint village of Charlecote, 5 miles from Stratford-upon-Avon. Dog-friendly rooms are available.
- Address: Charlecote Road, Stratford-upon-Avon, Charlecote, Warwickshire, CV35 9EW
- Website: https://charlecotepheasanthotel.co.uk/
- Restaurant: https://charlecotepheasanthotel.co.uk/eat-drink/the-restaurant/
- Tel: 01789 335960
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter @charlecotepheas
- Facebook @TheCharlecotePheasantHotel
The Arden Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon
Award-winning Waterside boutique hotel in the heart of historic Stratford-upon-Avon
- Website: https://www.theardenhotelstratford.com/
- Address: Waterside, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6BA.
- Tel: 01789 298 692
- Twitter: @ArdenHotel
- Facebook: @thearden
- Instagram: @ardenhotelstratford
- Key headline facts: 45-room, waterfront, dog-friendly hotel with close RSC ties and a 2 AA Rosette award-winning restaurant No 44 Brasserie, and outdoor terrace. It offers lunch, dinner, afternoon tea, pre-theatre menus, drinks, and cocktails (https://www.theardenhotelstratford.com/eat/no-44-brasserie/#accordion
- The hotel is the winner of 4 AA Silver Stars. It is part of the boutique Eden Hotel Collection with four sister hotels in Leamington Spa, Cheltenham, Kidderminster, and Devon, https://www.edenhotelcollection.com/.
- GM – Josefine Blomqvist
- An RSC Theatre Package is available: https://www.theardenhotelstratford.com/news-and-offers/rsc-theatre-package/
Royal Shakespeare’s Company
The RSC has three permanent theatres in Stratford-upon-Avon: the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and the Swan Theatre, which both share a building on Waterside, and The Other Place, which is a short walk away on Southern Lane
- Website: https://www.rsc.org.uk/
- Address: Waterside, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6BB
- Box office: 01789 331111
- Twitter @TheRSC
- Facebook @thersc
- Instagram @thersc
- Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/user/theRSC
- 60-minute Theatre Tours are also available which include the new Costume Workshop. Details here: https://www.rsc.org.uk/whats-on/filter/what/tours/where/stratford/when/any/any/view/grid
- Family-friendly workshops for children – many free – are held during school holidays
Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
Independent charity which cares for the five historic Shakespeare family homes in his hometown of Stratford-upon-Avon
- Website: https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/
- Tel: 01789 204016
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook @ShakespeareBT
- Twitter @ShakespeareBT
William Shakespeare’s childhood home
- Address: Henley Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6QW
- Opening times: Mon-Sun, 10 am – 5 pm
Anne Hathaway’s Cottage
The family home of Shakespeare’s wife-to-be, Anne Hathaway
- Address: 22 Cottage Lane, Shottery, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 9HH
- Opening Times: Mon-Sun, 10 am – 5 pm
Shakespeare’s Schoolroom and Guildhall
Where the world’s greatest playwright, William Shakespeare, was educated and first experienced theatre
- Website: https://www.shakespearesschoolroom.org/
- Address: Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6HB
- Tel: 01789 203170
- Twitter: KES_Guildhall
- Facebook: @shakespearesschoolroom
- Instagram: @shakespearesschoolroom
- Opening times: 11am – 5pm, last entry 4.30pm
Offers boat hire & 40-minute river cruises along the River Avon on their fleet of Edwardian vessels. The company has been operating for 100 years.
- Address: Swan’s Nest Boathouse, Swan’s Nest Lane, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 7LS
- Website: https://www.avon-boating.co.uk/
- Tel: 01789 267073
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boat hire opens 10am – 4.30pm, 7 days a week (may be extended on busier days)
- Office hours 9am – 4pm, Monday – Thursday
- Please note – open times are dependent on weather and may change during the height of the season
- Winner of Pride of Stratford Awards 2019 – Small Business of the Year
Stratford Town Walk & Stratford Ghost Walk
Multi award-winning tours of the historic town by professional dedicated tour guides
- Website: stratfordtownwalk.co.uk
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 07855 760377 or 01789 292478
- Twitter: @StratfordWalks
- Facebook: @Stratford Walks
- Instagram @stratfordtownwalk
- Winner of Theo Paphitis SBS Award; Travellers’ Choice, Certificate of Excellence & Hall of Fame – Tripadvisor; Walking Tour Service of the Year, Warwickshire – Prestige Awards; Best Town Tour – Stratford upon Avon online; Excellence in Service – Travel & Hospitality Awards; Unique Experience of the Year – Luxury Travel Guide; Tourism Initiative of the Year – Pride of Stratford Awards and Best Visitor Attraction – Coventry & Warwickshire Godiva Awards
The Farm, Snitterfield
Independent rural family-run business just outside Stratford-upon-Avon showcasing local artisan produce and promoting ethical, wholesome, and sustainable food. It includes a Nourish restaurant, deli, wine shop, cookery workshops, farm animals onsite, and children’s outdoor play area.
- Address: Kings Lane, Snitterfield, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 0QA
- Website: https://thefarmstratfordshop.com/
- Tel: 01789 731807
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening times: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm; Sunday 10am-4pm
- Facebook @TheFarmStratford
- Press awards: https://thefarmstratfordshop.com/pages/press-awards
Independent Straford-based local artisan distillery producers of Jester Rum and Stratford Dry Gin and a new vodka. It offers award distillery tours, experiences including cocktail masterclasses, a gin cruise on the Avon, and gin school.
Distillery address: Unit A, Drayton Manor Drive, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 9RQ
Opening times: Wed – Sat, 10am – 5pm; Sun 10am – 4pm
Tel: 01789 336559
High Street Shop Address: 1 High Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6AU
Tel: 01789 336559
Holy Trinity Church
Church of England church where Shakespeare was baptized, worshipped, and buried
- Address: Old Town, Stratford-upon-Avon
- Website: https://www.stratford-upon-avon.org/
- Tel: 01789 266316
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: @HTCStratforduponAvon
- Twitter @ holytrinitysona
- Website: https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/warwickshire/garrick/
- Address: 25 High Street, Stratford-upon-Avon
- Tel: 01789 292186
- Book here: https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/warwickshire/garrick/book/
- Opening times: 11am – 11pm
- Twitter @greeneking
National Trust Victorian home set in a landscaped deer park overlooking the River Avon on an 180-acre estate.
- Address: Charlecote village, Wellesbourne, Warwick CV35 9ER.
- Website: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/charlecote-park
- Tel: 01789 470277
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening times: Parkland open every day 9 am – 5 pm; House is closed on weekdays and open in the morning on weekends, 10.30am – 1pm.
- What’s on: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/charlecote-park/whats-on
Top 10 Travel Tips for 2023
Get the top 10 Tips to increase the awesomeness factor of your next Travel Adventure. You will also receive updates on new and amazing places to travel to.